Friday 3 June 2011

Wig Making Equipment

So I finally ordered and got my new wig making equipment. This is the next step after using the basic materials listed in my last post. I was lucky because I already had some of those, so it was inexpensive and easy for me to get started on practicing ventilation. The best thing about doing it this way, is that you give yourself an opportunity to try ventilating before you commit a lot of money to buying loads of equipment. If you buy all the professional wig making equipment first, you could easily spend between approximately £100-200 or $150-325. The risk with this is that some people will undoubtedly find that they do not like or enjoy ventilating and wig making, and other people will find that they do not get along well with it; it won't come naturally to them.

I made a video about my equipment:


The equipment you can see in the video is pretty much the basics that everyone needs. There are other things you would need to add to this if you do not already have them, such as: foundation material (lace, net, mono etc), hair, ventilating needle holder, scissors, pins/needles/thread and possibly many more! One item I bought that is optional was the plastic wig springs (the long, thin, flat white sticks). If you want to make a bonded lace wig, you won't need those. Another optional item I have not yet bought and will be buying is galloon - this is used to edge a regular wig with and can be bought from a wig making supplies company. 

In my next post, I will show you the first steps in using the canvas wig block. 

4 comments:

  1. Can you please explain exactly what wig springs are and how you use them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, sure. I will make a new post in answer to your question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI,
    WHERE R THE BEST SUPPLIERS FOUND? I AM FINDING IT EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO FIND ANY IN THE UK,THNX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For an answer, please check out this blog post -http://makingwigs.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/where-to-buy-supplies.html

      Delete